XCOPY

bpzoom 12:17 26 Mar 05

Windows XP Home SP2. I understand that the programme Xcopy comes with XP Pro. I cannot find a download for Xcopy on the Microsoft site. Without upgrading to XP Pro, is it possible to get Xcopy? Otherwise can anyone recommend a similar programme to buy or download? The purpose is to implement the backup system in PC ADvisor May 2005 page 165.

Bagsey 14:40 26 Mar 05

It also comes with XP Home. Look in
C:\WINDOWS\System32 for xcopy.exe

pj123 15:25 26 Mar 05

xcopy doesn't work with Win XP. What you need is xxclone, free download from:

click here

Bagsey 17:10 26 Mar 05

You are right. Why is it on my computer? I have to my knowledge never downloaded it, but it is there. Where has it come from????

VoG II 17:15 26 Mar 05

I've got it in my XP Home too!

One of life's mysteries I guess.

bpzoom 19:18 26 Mar 05

PJ123 thanks but your link does not appear to do anything, and even if it did appears to refer to the copying of whole volumes and not files.

gudgulf 20:45 26 Mar 05

click here for some info on Microsoft xcopy.This is included with XP and does work with it.Also click here

click here for a little on xxcopy which is by Pixielab and says that it should work with XP too.I think it is this latter program that pj123 is referring to.Pixielab also make xxclone click here.

Kinetic 21:37 26 Mar 05

You don't need the sotware xcopy. The backup is done from the command promp. Click start - all Programs - accessories then click command prompt. Enter the PCA commands from here.

Xcopy is a command line instruction.

bpzoom 22:47 26 Mar 05

Kinetic, ever hopeful. I did as you said but the reponse was exactly the same. After pressing enter it said "XCOPY is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

Number 7 23:00 26 Mar 05
  bpzoom 23:21 26 Mar 05

Got to admit I am out of my depth here, sorry. DOS is a dim memory from the 1970s and I can't understand even from these helpful pointers what I am supposed to type or put in the in the command box, apart from the parameters set out in PC advisor May 2005 page 165. I found the path as it is on my machine and stuck it on the command prompt and then the XCOPY parameters, no difference. I am sure it will work but I am all at sea with both XXCOPY, XCOPY. Everything I try ends up with the same result "XCOPY is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…