XBox wireless router question

Georgie68 15:22 14 Aug 09

Firstly, we do not have a wireless set up at home.
If I bought my son this...
click here
...would he be able to simply pick up a signal and play on XBox live games?
The only other alternative seems to be - buy a super-long cable to attach to my ethernet modem, turn my pc off, attach said cable, power up pc and not be able to use the internet myself while son is playing?

2neat 15:48 14 Aug 09

I have found in the past a hard wire is best.
You usually can get a 'free' wireless router of your ISP. Just ask them for a MAC code so you can move to another provider to get a router. They will soon send you one!

Falkyrn 16:14 14 Aug 09

If you don't have a router sending out the wireless signal then buying the receiver for the xbox 360 would be a waste of money.

gazzaho 16:37 14 Aug 09

I use an Xbox 360 with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router which allows for 4 wired devices plus any wireless devices you may have. I use a wired connection for the Xbox 360 as I believe it better suited to transfer data, I haven't tried the wireless device you linked to as I believe it would only transfer data at half the rate of a wired connection and depending on distance and what's between the router and the Xbox this transfer rate could well drop below that.

To answer your question, either way you will need a router in order to connect to the Internet with both machines simultaneously and reliably. A wired connection would be preferable over a wireless one, if you choose the wireless route then you will need a wireless router, (which can also be used for a wired connection) and the wireless receiver you linked to.

Georgie68 18:23 14 Aug 09

Ok thanks. I'm still not 100% clear, but it's not practical to have it wired, for the reasons I mentioned above, and we can't have a wireless set-up in the house because we do not have a BT (or other) line, only cable.... :-(

gazzaho 11:10 15 Aug 09

I have virgin broadband cable, and a router as I've stated. You plug your computer into the router instead of the modem, you then plug the modem into the Internet port of the router, the router allows you to use equipment like additional computers or game consoles with the one Internet connection. I have a desktop computer 2 laptops an Xbox 360 a PS3 and a Wii and all access the one Internet connection.

You will need the wireless receiver you linked to for the Xbox 360 because it doesn't come with wireless access out of the box as the PS3 and Nintendo Wii do. The problem with wireless instead of a wired connection is access speed. In general wireless speeds are half that of a wired connection, this may not matter for general Internet browsing but for gaming it may be more important. A consistent and reliable connection and speed are needed with online gaming otherwise you get lag or worse disconnects while playing, that's why I said a wired connection is preferable over wireless. If wireless is your only option then your son may experience lag and dropouts depending on how good the signal is between the router and the Xbox receiver.

As 2neat has said, you may get a free router from your ISP if you threaten to jump ship to another ISP if they don't supply one, it might be worth trying.

I hope this explains things a little better.

Georgie68 16:17 22 Aug 09

Just got back from hols so apologies for the delay in replying. I understand better now - thanks gazzaho :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…