xbox will not get ip address

gizzyx 22:04 04 Apr 09

hi guys. trying to get an xbox connected to live by connecting to laptop with wireless connection thus:-

xbox->crossovercable->laptop->wireless->router->internet.

i've set the wireless connection settings to ics (allow other connections...) but cannot get the xbox to pick up a network address. followed video guides on youtube all seems simple but testing connection on xbox just keeps coming up ip address failed. any ideas, guys? btw winxp sp3.

mgmcc 22:15 05 Apr 09

What is the IP address of your Router?

When "Internet Connection Sharing" is enabled on your Internet Connection, Windows allocates the IP address 192.168.0.1 to the network adapter that connects to the "client" PC. This address must not be changed and ICS client PCs have addresses in the 192.168.0.x range. However, if you have a Router which operates in the same Subnet (IP address range), has the same 192.168.0.1 address and allocates 192.168.0.x addresses to connected computers, then you will have a conflict. In this situation, the Router's own IP address needs to be changed so that it operates in a different Subnet. For example, change the Router's own IP address to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 etc.

gizzyx 01:43 06 Apr 09

it's a buffalo router with an address of 192.168.11.1, so it is on a different subnet. tried with a winxp laptop, a vista laptop and different ethernet cables, both straight through and crossover and still no joy. wondering if the xbox nic is faulty

gizzyx 02:10 06 Apr 09

tried manually configuring settings on xbox with instructions from microsoft click here . both winxp and vista. tried changing gateway and dns settings as well from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.11.1 to match the router but still no good. in fact, tried every mix and match i can think of to no avail. kiddies on youtube making me look an idiot!!!!!!

gizzyx 02:17 06 Apr 09

wrong link in last post. MS instructions here click here

mgmcc 20:19 06 Apr 09

>>> also......
>>> tried manually configuring settings on xbox
>>> with instructions from microsoft click here .
>>> both winxp and vista. tried changing gateway
>>> and dns settings as well from 192.168.0.1 to
>>> 192.168.11.1 to match the router but still no good.

Windows "Internet Connection Sharing" sometimes doesn't like you using fixed IP addressing in the "client" computers. They (the Xbox) should be set to get their addresses automatically by DHCP. The correct Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses will be 192.168.0.1, the address of the PC's Local Area Connection.

What addresses does the Xbox actually get by DHCP?

gizzyx 07:45 07 Apr 09

it doesn't get ahything by DHCP. 0.0.0.0 .as i said, on a test it fails at IP address stage. it's not picking one up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…