Xbox live hell

stoolie74 23:10 31 Dec 05

Please can anyone help me. I am trying to connect to xbox live using an ethernet cable from the xbox to my pc to share the connection. My pc is brand new and the xbox isn't that old either.

My problem seems to be that in the network connections box, my broadband (BT) connection is described as dial up and under the 'LAN or high speed internet' section it kindly informs me that the network cable is unplugged. I have no idea what to do. The ethernet cable was bought today and the only issue i can foresee is with my pc. Why is my broadband connection described as dial up and why can it not recognise that there is a bloody cable stuck in it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mgmcc 00:20 01 Jan 06

<<< under the 'LAN or high speed internet' section it kindly informs me that the network cable is unplugged >>>

When connecting two "computers" directly, Network Adapter to Network Adapter, it is essential that you use a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable. Is that what you are using?

<<< in the network connections box, my broadband (BT) connection is described as dial up >>>

That isn't a problem, you have to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on that connection.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

stoolie74 15:46 01 Jan 06

Thank you for your reply, and you advice. Unfortunately, it seems to have made no difference. I am using a CAT5 ethernet cable...is that right?
i am beginning to wonder if there is something swry with my pc as it feels like i have tried everything. Any further suggestions would be received with open arms.

Stoolie

mgmcc 16:40 01 Jan 06

<<< I am using a CAT5 ethernet cable...is that right >>>

There are two distinct types of CAT5 ethernet cable - "straight-wired" and "crossover".

To connect two "computers" directly (and take that to include X-box) a "crossover" cable must be used.

To connect a computer to a network Hub/Switch/Router, a "straight-wired" cable is used.

If you use the wrong type of cable with Windows XP, you will get the "Network Cable Unplugged" indication.

stoolie74 21:13 01 Jan 06

Well I think you might have just about cracked it for me, but i'm afraid you haven't quite got rid of me yet!

I can't tell if the cable is a crossover or not as the box doesn't say. The cable however has printed along it;

"multi-lan verified (UL) cat5e patch cable e129760-c (UL) cm 75(DEGREES)C and etl verified eia/tia- 568b.2 cat5e 4utp 24awg stranded csa ll80671 awm IIa/ b 80(DEGREES)C 30V ft4"

That total gibberish to me, but if that means anything to you and you could let me know i would again be indebted to you,

Cheers,

Stoolie

mgmcc 21:26 01 Jan 06

A "patch" cable is normally the description for a "straight-wired" cable, which suggests you have the wrong type. The packaging would normally state clearly if it was "crossover".

Belkin produce cables in a variety of colours but, with their "straight-wired" cables, the plugs are the same colour as the cable.

Their "crossover" cables by contrast are either grey cables with yellow plugs or yellow cables with grey plugs, so there is no doubt that it is a crossover cable.

rosemage 01:25 14 Aug 07

Isn't it true that if you look at both ends where you can see the wires...

the straight connection will be the same order of colors on both ends.

The crossover cord will have two of the colors switched on one end. The colors of one cord will be in a different order from the other cord.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…