Xandros Linux must go

Graham ® 12:16 22 Jul 05

Sorry, octal, but I can't get anywhere with the Xandros you kindly sent me. No USB modem = no internet. I will pass it on if anyone wants to have a go.

I have deleted the partitions it set up, but, as I thought, it's not that simple to 'uninstall'.

I assume I must re-instate the MBR to Windows XP Home. Any guidance out there, please?

dth 17:09 22 Jul 05

Shouldn't the answer be get a proper modem ...

keith-236785 17:36 22 Jul 05

to restore the mbr, you could download a win98SE startup disk from click here, double click to start the write to a floppy disk.

reboot with the floppy in the drive, press Shift+5 to boot into command prompt, then type

fdisk mbr

this should rewrite the mbr and remove the linux loader (grub or lilo)

good luck

octal 17:57 22 Jul 05

This will help click here

If ever you want to have another go it will be worth getting a modem that works via the LAN connection and not USB.

There is nothing wrong with Xandros, its a typical problem with Linux and USB modems. Its a pity you live so far away because I could get that working, but never mind, its not to be.

Graham ® 18:01 22 Jul 05

I was just reading click here

It may not be as simple as fdisk /mbr in DOS. It will need the data on the XP CD.

woodchip 18:03 22 Jul 05

you should not do some of the above i.e win98 floppy mbr will not correct a ntfs partition for instense. and can corrupt the mbr so it will not load windows

woodchip 18:05 22 Jul 05

it works ok with Win98se but not Win2000 and XP runninNTFS

Graham ® 18:07 22 Jul 05

Thanks, I looked on that forum earlier! Seems about the same as Microsoft version. I'll have a go shortly (when the bar's open!).

Graham ® 18:10 22 Jul 05

Thanks, I think the 98 floppy is just to take me into DOS. But the Restore CD will do that without one.

ashdav 19:57 22 Jul 05

Start, Run, type

cmd

and click OK

Then at the > prompt type

fdisk /mbr Advice courtesy of VoG™ in a previous thread.

Graham ® 20:18 22 Jul 05

'fdisk' is not recognised...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…