x64 Processors / x64 Windows

cortez© 19:41 06 Nov 05

Okay, thinking of getting an Athlon 64 CPU. Can any of you advise whats things i'll need to considor. E.g. software that won't work (is there a list somewhere??) and other considorations. Also do i need a patch for my current install of win xp pro or do i need a different version of xp ????

thanks.

Skills 19:43 06 Nov 05

AMD 64 processors will run 32 bit apps just fine so you can continue to use the same version of windows and any apps that you have running in XP will run just fine on the new system as well.

bremner 19:44 06 Nov 05

Get the Athlon 64 processor but for the time being you are probably better off sticking to 32 bit Windows XP.

Vista will be along next year (allegedly) and until then there will be issues with drivers and a lack of 64 bit programs.

cortez© 19:47 06 Nov 05

so is there any point in getting a x64 CPU ????? I see many people getting em.

bremner 19:49 06 Nov 05

Yes because 64 bit is the future.

I hate the term but buying 64 bit 'future proofs' your purchase.

cortez© 21:18 06 Nov 05

any1 got a link that explains everything i need to considor ?????

Harpur 22:11 06 Nov 05

your modem needs to have an ethernet connection as very few modems have 64 bit drivers. try here for more info click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…