X-rays at airports

MuDelta 10:34 14 Jun 05

When flying, is it safe to put a digital camera in hold luggage or should I carry it as hand luggage?

Totally-braindead 10:39 14 Jun 05

I've never had a problem with X rays in airoprts and wouldn't be concerned over this. However bearing in mind the rough handling the bags get on planes I would be concerned about that and would keep the camera in your hand luggage because of this.

hssutton 10:47 14 Jun 05

I do a great deal of flying and take my digital cameras wherever I go. There are no problems with airport security equipment, but I would never even consider placing my equipment in the hold. Always carry it as hand luggage. It is also quite safe to send it through the scanners.

Stuartli 11:31 14 Jun 05

As per previous postings, never leave anything of value in luggage that goes in the hold and confirmation that security checks/scanners at the majority of airports throughout the world will not harm digital or film media.

I've been through many, many times with both types and it's been fine - in fact many airports display the information that it is safe to do so.

No doubt the FE, a seasoned traveller who visits many parts of the world, will also reassure you.

€dstowe 12:12 14 Jun 05

Both my employees and myself travel a lot doing location shoots all over the world. We take large amounts of photographic equipment with us - both conventional film and digital. All cameras regularly go through airport security scanners without problems. However, we do, wherever possible, buy film in the country where it is going to be used and have it processed there. This has three advantages:- very often film is cheaper abroad, it avoids any possiblility of fogging at airports and it avoids carrying unexposed film rolls and canisterss ripe for any over zealous (nosy) security officials to open, and consequently, ruin.

My partner is an airline pilot who regularly carries a laptop, digital camera and a film camera when working. He's never had any problems with security equipment damaging equiment.

€dstowe 12:14 14 Jun 05

Should have noted that all our cameras go as hand baggage to prevent theft. Even so, they are well insured but that ain't much help if they're stolen on the outward flight.

TomJerry 14:26 14 Jun 05

because all stuff going through security check no matter it is in the bag ot carried

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…