X P rescue needed

geoff47 01:10 16 Feb 05

I use win98 se...some of you here have helped me in the past....I am no PC expert.But to a friend I am the bees knees in computing matters...cos I know about Google.
Anyway the family have recently bought a new PC with XP installed and have managed to virtually wreck it.Installing every program that came in the bundle...in System Information there are over 60 Startup programs.
I am not too familiar with XP so what would be the easiest solution?
Looked for a restore point but could find none.

Can I just re install over the top or would it have to be more drastic.

Thanks in advance....its not for me honest.
Geoff47

groundhog 01:55 16 Feb 05

I would remove all the programs via the add/remove programs except for the ones they want to keep

Or you could type "msconfig" in the run box without the quotes and amend which programs you dont want to run at startup

or do both

A re-install would depend on what type of xp disk came with the computer ie. OEM or a recovery disk

just be aware that most computer manufacturers dont issue a full system disk anymore and that they often hide a partition on the hard drive to be used as a recovery

the pie eater 06:31 16 Feb 05

Can you restore to an date prior to you loading all the programs on? click start, programs, accessories,systems tools , system restore and follow the prompts as you can restore the computer to an earier date.
i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong as i am only a novice

ve3ofa 06:46 16 Feb 05

A quick solution is to start/run msconfig and remove what isn't neccessary.. this will allow you the option of also either removing software via add/remove or even more drastic to use the system restore function to set the computer back to a previous date.. if you use system restore first then the programs that are added will still exist on the hard drive but will not be available in the add/remove function. I'd go with Msconfig first myself

AndySD 06:55 16 Feb 05
  geoff47 11:58 16 Feb 05

I will revisit and try again to sort out the mess.I thought there were no Restore points when I looked...but will go with the alternative advice if I cant find any.

Many thanks...will tick solved or be back later.
Geoff47

Stuartli 12:09 16 Feb 05

There won't be many Restore points if the system is so new.

As pointed out, just restoring to an earlier date won't remove programs or utilities.

Uninstalling all the programs not required and then using a suitable restore point would appear, to me at least, to be the best option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…