X-box to PC to Wireless Router

Cannon_Fodder 14:21 13 Dec 05

at home i want to set up my x-box so it connects to the internet through my PC

The full setup is:
PC connecting to a wireless router
X-Box connecting to the PC via a cross over through the onboard LAN

The problem being i cant get it to work.

I have tried automatic setup for everything and it wont work.

X-Box live fails on the configuring IP addresses stage.

I have tried to do a manual setup, but i have no idea what i am doing TBH.

Subnet mask, does it want to be on a separate subnet mask?

Gateway, what is its gateway

etc etc

all help greatfully recieved.

I have looked through the x-box live forums but they dont really help me.
They only tell u how to connect to a PC that is connecting to the internet, or a direct connection to a router.

Cannon_Fodder

mgmcc 14:43 13 Dec 05

First question - is there a particular reason for connecting the X-box to the PC rather than directly to the router?

If it has to connect to the PC, you need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection in the PC (the connection to the modem). This will automatically configure the Local Area Connection with the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Additionally, it enables the PC as a DHCP server to allocate the addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server) to the "client", in this case the X-box. The network adapter in the X-box should therefore be set to get its IP address automatically.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

If you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked. Whatever firewall software you run in the PC, it will need to allow access to the X-box in its "trusted" area.

Becasuse Internet Connection Sharing operates in the 192.168.0.xxx range, your router will have to operate and allocate IP addresses in a different range (i.e. with the third octet of the IP addresses a value other than "0", which may already be the case).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…