Wrong Wireless Connection

hogan8 00:08 07 Jul 09

When I boot up my laptop it has started picking up an unsecured wireless connection rather than my own. How can I make mine default please.

hogan8 00:19 07 Jul 09

OK think I have found the answer I have moved the unsecured network down my list.

mgmcc 08:07 07 Jul 09

Moving it down the list means it will try to connect to your network first. If for any reason your network isn't available, it will still connect automatically to this other network. Delete this other network from the list.

hogan8 08:15 07 Jul 09

Many thanks, I have done the delete, my pc shows another 4 wireless connections so I have deleted them all now, rebooted the router etc and when I started up mine is there immediately, thanks for your advice.

mooly 11:13 07 Jul 09

On Vista (don't know what your running but think XP must be similar) when setting up and connecting to a network for the first time there is a check box to tick "always connect to this network"

hogan8 11:40 07 Jul 09

I am running Vista Business so I will have a look around to see if I can find the box.

mooly 12:12 07 Jul 09

Try clicking the start orb and look for "connect to" in the list of options displayed.
Perhaps try disconnecting from your network first, then connect and set it up again. Remember to have any "key" for your router handy.
You can also right click the wireless icon in the system tray to access these options.

hogan8 15:21 07 Jul 09

Got it thanks. Have shut down several times now and my own connection is up each time. Appreciate your assist.

woodchip 16:02 07 Jul 09

Will it let you set your ISP as Default Connection? it should

hogan8 23:41 07 Jul 09

Will it let you set your ISP as Default Connection? it should

Can't see anything which lets me set that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos