'Wrong volume' message re floppies on XP

Halmer 20:51 19 Jan 04

Most times that my wife tries to save a Word document on a floppy she gets a message saying something about 'wrong volume' and the document fails to save. We have XP on one machine, ME on another and 98 at work, all of which have probably accessed or saved to the discs over time.

Could this be the reason? Also when I format the disc it indicates that FAT32 is in operation I think whereas I'm sure that my PC uses N something or other. Could this be the reason?

R4 21:01 19 Jan 04

I think that the format used on floppies is the same on all O/S's, only the hard disks format at Fat32 (win98) NFTS (XP & NT.

If when you put the floppy in a system you press F5 it will make the system re read the drives and get the correct format for each type.

Try pressing F5 when you load the floppy, before you try to save to it... this seems to work for me.

Big Elf 21:02 19 Jan 04

I've had problems with trying to create system disks for Win 9x on Win 2000 and XP machines but not data disks. Is the disk(s) in regular use? They're not known as a reliable storage medium in the long term.

Halmer 21:14 19 Jan 04

Thanks

She's tried new, old discs, formatted discs etc. But you are right; they are very slow now and unreliable. She just find sthem easy to use for work/college/home.

I pressed F5 R4 and Outlook Express checks for messages!

Big Elf 21:27 19 Jan 04

Perhaps emailing them would help? I vaguely remember now having problems with Win 2000 and data floppies used/created on Win 9X machines but assumed at the time it was my floppy drive that was faulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac