Wrong Memory ?

Switcher 03:18 03 Aug 07

Board: K7S41GX 1.0
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P2.00 10/28/2004

My motherboard is supposed to support PC2700 DDR 333MHz memory I have 2Gb of Pc3200 DDR 400 Mhz is this ok or could this explain the occasional BSOD

alan2273 06:39 03 Aug 07

The 3200 memory will run OK but at the reduced speed of 333mhz.
First download Memtest and run that, it is best to run it at overnight as it takes a long time.
If it is two seperate sticks try running it with one and see what happens, if it runs OK take that one out and try the other one.

Switcher 14:25 04 Aug 07

Thanks, alan, I have tried all possible permutations of Two and one stick using both slots but still have the problem though less with one stick in use rather than two. Will try MEMTEST

Totally-braindead 14:40 04 Aug 07

Are you sure the memory is the right memory?

You can run faster memory at a lower speed thats not what I mean but where did you get the memory? I only buy from Crucial now as they guarantee their memory is compatible, is the memory you have unbuffered for example. Heres what Crucial says click here

Switcher 18:48 11 Aug 07

Thanks TB and Alan. Both sticks are Kingston unbuffered. Memtest shows no problem but with both in service no matter which slots they are in I get a lot of BSODs. With only stick A in slot 1 or stick B in slot 1 is Ok. with Stick A or B in slot 0 I get BSOD problems. I now suspect problem with slot 0 on motherboard

Totally-braindead 18:55 11 Aug 07

Its possible, only other suggestion I can offer is look up the board on the manufacturers website, particularly their Forums and see if others have a problem with using 2 1 gig slabs of memory which is what I presume you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5