WRONG HDD ICON

Gharte' 08:28 27 Aug 03

Hi,I would greatly appreciate your help here.
The hdd icon on my Win98 pc is that of a cdrom drive icon. The icon for the cdrom however is correct. What went wrong and how do I cause it to show the correct icon for my hdd?
Thanks in advance.

-pops- 08:59 27 Aug 03

Is this affecting performance?

If not, it would be best not to concern yourself about it. You are in danger of causes more problems than you cure by trying to adjust this extemely minor anomaly.

leo49 10:02 27 Aug 03

A couple of ways to do this.

Tidiest is to edit the registry[usual caveats but it's not scary and if you don't try, you won't learn].

1. Create (if it does not already exist) the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ DriveIcons\ X\ DefaultIcon

where 'X' is the drive letter of the drive for which you wish to change the drive icon.

Change the key's default value to hold the full name/path of the icon file; (e.g. 'c:\myicons\cdrive.ico').

If the file contains more than one icon then follow it with a comma and the index number of the icon (e.g. 'c:\myicons\mylib.dll,2').

OR

2. Simply create a new textfile in the root of your drive typing this text:

Open notepad

Type this:

"[autorun]
icon=filename, number"

(again, without the quotes).

In this text, you will replace "filename" with the name of the .ico file or .dll in which the icon is contained.

"Number" indicates which icon file you wish to use. If you are using a .ico file, or if you want to use the first icon in a dll, leave this part blank. But if, for instance, you want to use the fourth icon in the .dll , replace "number" with "4" (no quotes.)

Save this notepad file as "autorun.inf" in the root directory of the drive you wish to modify (eg. C:\), not within any subdirectories or folders within the drive.

Hit F5 to refresh your folder, if that doesn't work, you may need to reboot your computer to see your changed icon.

Regards

leo49 10:05 27 Aug 03

In the above pt2 the format got scrambled;

[autorun]should be on the line ABOVE icon=filename, number

[autorun]

icon=filename, number

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…