wrong hard drive size? partitioned

stephen-224025 10:02 15 Jul 04

Hi all...just replaced my PC with a Dell optiplex and the hard drive shows a size of 10GB in My Computer although it's actually 20GB on looking at the actual Maxtor drive in the PC. I think this has been partitioned in the past.How do I un partition to get the full 20GB back. Cheers.
Gawsworthboy

Diodorus Siculus 10:08 15 Jul 04

2 ways:

the first, using FDISK is destructive of all that is on the hdd.

The second, using a utility such as Partition Magic will (should) not destroy your data.

click here

Diodorus Siculus 10:10 15 Jul 04

By the way, what OS are you using?

If XP, right click on "my computer" and choose manage.

Then disk management.

From there you may be able to format the unused partition.

stephen-224025 10:15 15 Jul 04

Hi Diodorus, many thanks....it's XP and under disk management it shows 9.75GB FAT 32 Healthy and 9.00GB Unallocated.
How do I re allocate the partitioned sector?
Gawsworthboy

Diodorus Siculus 10:20 15 Jul 04

I don't have XP at present (using win 2k).

What happens if you right click on the unallocated space? Is there an option to format it?

stephen-224025 10:27 15 Jul 04

Hi, on right click I get New Partition....Properties...help
The New Partition wont help as I want to reallocate to full 20GB.
Any sugestions??
Many thanks
Gawsworthboy

Diodorus Siculus 10:33 15 Jul 04

Other than by usuing Partition Magic or similar (Ranish partition manager for a free option) I don't know of a way of doing this.

It can be useful to have two partitions though so look on the bright side if you were to leave it this way! :-)

reaths 10:55 15 Jul 04

you can remove the partition using the XP disc cant remember exactly how,its either in the repair option or the format option not exactly sure at work at the moment so unable to search but have used it to partition & undo partition in the past.hope this helps you

stephen-224025 11:02 15 Jul 04

Hi all, seems too much messing about and I suppose it's OK to have 2 "Drives" although the unallocated partition is not showing as an accessible drive...it has no drive letter assigned.
How do I use this extra 9.0GB and how do I assign a drive letter so it shows up in My Computer?
Gawsworthboy

reaths 11:27 15 Jul 04

does the drive show on my computer as 2 seperate drives if so then you can format it there choosing either NTFS or FAT32 when i partitioned my hard drive it only formatted the C:/ drive on installation and i had to format each partition in my computer to get them to work.

stephen-224025 12:15 15 Jul 04

Hi reaths, no it only shows one drive "C" in My Computer with a volume of 9.75GB.
I dont know how to access the partitioned part of the hard drive to assign a drive letter?? Will I have to format the entire drive again?
Gawsworthboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…