Wrong CPU Speed

Steven135 08:07 24 Jun 03

On the boot menu and on properties my CPU is showing Athlon 1.3 XP it shoud be 3000+ I know that that will not be the clock spead but 1.3 is definately wrong, any ideas also my memory is shon running at 166 and it should be 333.

I took delivery of this evesham machine yesterday any ideas?

AndySD 08:47 24 Jun 03

In windows Go Start then Control Panel then Performance and Maintinance choose Basic Info ... what does it say there?

I cannot believe that a Manufacturer would send out a PC with this sort of absolute "Basic" problem - it shows a complete lack of Testing and Quality control inspection.

The reason your memory and CPU are not running to proper speed is that the CPU multipliers are not set correctly. It really is as simple as that!

I am not sure what they should be but I will look and post back

Jester2K II 08:54 24 Jun 03

Smiffy99 is correct sounds like the BIOS multipliers are not set! You need to chance some settings in the BIOS but sounds like Smiffy99 will be more help than i here...

Jester2K II 08:55 24 Jun 03

Oh and write (don't bother ringing) Evesham and ask them why it was sent out like this!

From What I can gather the actual spped of the 3000XP is 2.167 and to reach that you need to set the multipliers to 13 x 166 (=2.158) The 166 setting is automatically doubled to give you the 333 memory speed.

How you set these on your particular board I am not sure. Can you post back what board you have and I will see what I can find.

Steven135 09:33 24 Jun 03

Thanks for your help I just tried getting through to their Tech support waited for 15 mins thought i'd try thier customer care waited 20 mins gave up.

The MB is an Asus A7N8X i'll try you idea smiffy99 thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…