wrong card reader

thospot 20:57 01 Nov 06

I have just bought a USB 2.0 internal all in one card reader/writer to fit in my floppy drive bay but I don't think it will fit in my computer..

It's from 'Direct usb store' and I have just been on their web site and in their 'further information' it does say "connects via Mother Board connection block. I didn't see this before I purchased...

My Mother Board is a Soltek SL-75DRV/-X Socket 'A' Mainboard and I can't see anywhere for the card reader to fit.

This board does not have USB 2 directly on it but I have put an additional card in to supply me with USB 2...

Could someone confirm that I will not be able to fit this card reader so that I can send it back.
Also, could you suggest an internal card reader that would fit on my board

Thank you.....

Technotiger 22:38 01 Nov 06

Hi, afraid I can't advise you about your mobo connections, but I can recommend a USB2 30in1 CardReader which fits in either a 3.5" or a 5.25" slot, it comes complete with all fittings and connects to a USB port - as on your USB2 board. I paid £20 (price is normally £25, got a discount from my local pc shop)

click here

Cheers.

thospot 00:09 02 Nov 06

Technotiger,

Thanks for your reply.

I shall send for the one you recommend.. If it connects to a USB port it will ok..

Cheers

Technotiger 07:14 02 Nov 06

Hi, yes, it connects to a usb port. With the package you get a Blanking Plate which replaces one from the rear of the Tower. The replacement Blanking Plate has a 'cut-out' where the usb lead coming from the back of the CardReader passes through to connect into one of your spare ports. Also in the package are four different front-covers Silver/Black/Chrome/Blue so that you can make it match your Tower's look.

Cheers.

fitshase 07:47 02 Nov 06

Thospot,

If you have an additional card to supply USB 2 then there is, in all likelyhood, an "internal" port on that card. I have a 6 port USB 2 pci card. However, only 4 of those are external and 2 are internal.

The card reader should connect to one of those.

Technotiger 07:56 02 Nov 06

Yes, fitshase has made a good point, I had forgotten that.

Cheers.

jack 08:24 02 Nov 06

For what it is worth- because I can see your plan of action is pretty well settled.
I had an external card reader [silvercrest from Lidl £4.99 and also had a 5 port 4 ex 1 int PCI card.
So I took out a 3.5 in blanking plate from front and made up a tray from scrap aluminium[or a cat food tin -washed of course] glued it to blank plate into which I had cut a slot- put it all to gether ,used the internal port as already noted - and there I was - been there at least 18 months and nery a glitch [now what did I say ? ¦-( }

thospot 10:04 02 Nov 06

You chaps do get up early in the morning don't you...Thanks for your replies...

My USB card does have one internal port which I use to connect to a temperature 'thingy' on the front, which also has a 1394 port, one USB1 and one USB2 and also 'line in and Mic'on it.. I use it a lot for the USB2 connection but very little else..

Jack.

Very ingenious. I used to do things like that because you get a great deal of satisfaction when it all works well but I can't be bothered now.. Too old to bother...

I have contacted the place I bought the Reader from in the first place and they do not have a replacement for me so they are going to refund my money... Nice people...

Thanks once again for your trouble....

jack 11:42 02 Nov 06

"Very ingenious. I used to do things like that because you get a great deal of satisfaction when it all works well but I can't be bothered now.. Too old to bother..."

How old is too old?
I'm 74 still at it- bothering IT wise that is ;-)

thospot 11:59 02 Nov 06

Well, well, Jack. 74 is a good age. I'm only 3 years older but I suppose it depends on a good many other things as to whether you can carry on in a youthfull manner.

Trouble for me is that I did not see a computer untill I was over 70 and by then I had lost my ability to learn and remember.

I have done very well to get as far as I have got but a lot of that is due to this forum.. I have no one else. Although I don't get involved I do read it most of the time and by doing that you learn by other people asking the questions...

Keep up the good work Jack and may you have a lot more years at your chosen hobby....

Ps, Even so, the age does not help me in what I have to do at 2.0 clock this afternoon. I have an appointment at the dentist because I have a tooth that is broken and it has got to come out and it is going to involve cutting the gum to get the remains out... Wish me luck....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…