Writing to CDs

Pine Man 09:19 27 Oct 06

I am running XP Home and use Office 2000 Pro.

I want to burn Office files to a CDRW using XP and send the CD to a mate who does my accounts. He will make some alterations to the files and also want to send additional files back to me on the same CD.

When he tries to burn the new files to the same CD, using XP, he can't because it is 'Read Only'

I have changed the attributes when burning the original CD by removing the tick from the 'Read Only' box but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

What am I doing wrong?

Technotiger 09:37 27 Oct 06

Hi, You need to use CDRW - not CDR

Cheers.

Technotiger 09:42 27 Oct 06

Sorry, just read your thread again - Oooops silly me!

I would advise getting something like Nero to do the burning, rather than just XP.

BRYNIT 09:53 27 Oct 06

To be able to alter files on a CD-RW disk you will need to format the disk first using a program like Nero In-CD, Windows writing program will not allow this. Alternatively using a usb flash drive may be easier. click here=

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:54 27 Oct 06

You are probably not doing anything wrong.

It may be his PC, he needs to check :

My computer - right click drive - properties - recording tab - tick "Enable recording on this drive.."

De Marcus™ 09:56 27 Oct 06

CD-R should be just as usable as XP supports multi-session, i.e. burn a cd using the XP wizard, add files at a later date using the same method. The problem lies in the fact your using different machines with different burners, the Multisession cd that you are able to burn and add to on your machine will only ever be seen as a readable cd-rom by another burner.

The easiest way to do this without dedicated burning software would be for your mate to copy all the files off the cd, erase the cd-rw using the XP wizard, make his alterations and burn back to a freshly formatted CD-RW.

Smiler 10:05 27 Oct 06

You have to mke the disc multi session to be able to add new files or as BRYNIT says use in-CD

Stuartli 10:08 27 Oct 06

As you point out you can't add to a multisession CD-R disk on another system, but the main reason is that the multisession file name has to be saved each time on your system when adding to the disk.

If you don't Save the additions to the file each time you add to it then you can't add properly to it afterwards, nor can you/may not be able to read some of the originals files the disk contains.

I've learned that from experience....:-)

De Marcus™ 10:12 27 Oct 06

"but the main reason is that the multisession file name has to be saved each time on your system when adding to the disk."

I wasn't aware that was the reason why, just knew it didn't work :-)

You learn something new every day! :-)

Stuartli 10:50 27 Oct 06

Actually I should make it clear I was referring to Nero6 Reloaded and previous versions - I've never used the Windows XP burner which seems to be fairly limited in comparison.

But I would imagine that the same scenario (i.e. that the files already listed and burned in XP would be missing on another system) still applies.

Stuartli 10:52 27 Oct 06

Nero always asks if you wish to Save the file; Finalise is included just before the last burning to the disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac