Write speeds to a blank CD.

timothywilliam 20:01 26 Jan 04

I have a Samsung SW 216 CD/DVD player run on Windows XP. It is two years old. The Properties of the CD unit state that the Write Speed options are times 2, times 4, times 8 and times 16. It is set now at its highest on times 16. which I guess is the default.
When I go to the shops to purchase a blank CD to write Data to it from my Hard disc I have an option of buying blank CD discs with Write Speeds of times 24 or times 32 even to times 48.
Which speed should I purchase ? I only ever write data or photo files to disc.

Dazwm 20:14 26 Jan 04
  R4 20:40 26 Jan 04

Your CD writer will only write at a max of X16,... the blank CD speed is the maximum speed that the the CD can be written to to guarrentee reliable data writes.

Normally the cost of CD blanks rises with the write speed as they have to be of higher quality but they can bewritten at lower speeds and the will be more reliable at these speeds.

A writer does not write at the same speed over the whole of a CD anyway but the optimum speed is that rating (24X----32X) if the writer can write at those speeds. It will not make any difference to you if you use X24 as you cam only write at a max of X16

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…