Write protected file deletion

archie330 21:46 24 Dec 04

I need to delete a write protected file how do I do this?

mattyc_92 21:48 24 Dec 04

Try going into safe mode and deleting it

Giggle n' Bits 21:55 24 Dec 04

then run CCleaner & if its a dodgy file then CWShredder. Reboot pc then delete and it should go.

archie330 22:22 24 Dec 04

Mattyc_92 and Blue Star - Thanks for replying.
Perhaps I should have explained I have been infected with the Exploit-Mht Redir. gen virus according to my Macafee antivirus software but it can't delete it as it is write protected. I cannot find it either. It supposed to be in "Documents and Settings".
I've run Spybot,Adaware,CW shredder and Spy subtract. Ive tried XP's restore facility and it is still there.
Any further advice?

mattyc_92 18:47 25 Dec 04

Do a "virus scan" again with the prduct that discovered it to see if it is still there, if it is note down the location and file name, reboot system into safe mode and delete it..... Reboot back into narmal mode and do another scan to see if it has worked!!!!

VoG II 18:51 25 Dec 04

If that doesn't work, try one or both of these methods click here

archie330 21:30 25 Dec 04

Thanx to all who are helping with this problem. The first thing I have to before trying all your suggestions is to find the damn thing. Macafee tells me that it is in "Documents and Settings" but I don't know how to uncover it in the various files. Any suggestions?

Technotiger 21:36 25 Dec 04

If none of the above suggestions work go off-line and try virus scan again, but with System Restore disabled - dont forget to re-enable afterwards.

Cheers.

archie330 21:59 25 Dec 04

Technotiger, thanx for replying.
Did that, but it is still there laughing at me.

Dan the Confused 22:05 25 Dec 04

If you know the path and name of the file you can delete it via the Recovery Console. click here for more info.

thms 22:12 25 Dec 04

Open documents and settings go to tools/folder options/view/select show hidden folders.
Open your user folder and look in local settings.
The wee beggars usualy hide in the temp folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…