Write protect error writing drive C

loose85 07:59 13 Aug 03

I've got a problem with my PC. When it starts up I get an error message "write protect error writing drive c" and the only way i can get it to load is by failing it.
I have been running 98SE for several months after a disk format, and it has been fine, then last week it just came up with that message, and I don't recall doing anything to it!
I've got Norton, and I've done a virus scan and system check, but nothing was found.
The system work fine once started, but I'm keen to stop this error message as, apart from all the technical problems it may be causing, it means I have to sit next to my computer as it boots up just to press the "f" key!
Hope someone out there can help me!
-Lucy-

MichelleC 08:58 13 Aug 03

There may be trouble ahead... (or not).

If you're 98+ boot into safemode and run defrag and scandisc (thorough and auto fix unchecked) and see what occurs.

john miles 16:46 15 Aug 03

Having similar "write protect error writing drive C:" problems to loose85 - started circa July 20th. No viruses show up. System is flaky when running.
Am asking around and trying various things.
Is drive C really on the way out or could there be other causes?

Wes Tam ;-) 16:52 15 Aug 03

Most Phoenix 4.x BIOSes, including Micro Firmware BIOS upgrades, include an option on the Security menu called "Fixed Disk Boot Sector", which can be set to "Normal" or "Write-protect". This can be used to protect against boot-sector viruses.

The write-protect option cannot be used with Found the following from here: click here

"FAT32 partitions in Windows 95/98. If the write-protect option is enabled, a hard drive partitioned with FAT32 will give the following error message when Windows is trying to boot up:

Write fault error writing drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail?

If the boot drive is not a FAT32 partition, but other drives in the system are FAT32 partitions, the system may boot up fine, but there may be problems writing files to FAT32 partitions. This problem may not appear in GUI mode. The above error message will appear when trying to write any files to a FAT32 drive in MS-DOS mode"

I hope you understand it!!! :o)

Wes Tam ;-) 16:53 15 Aug 03

Sorry, should read - Found the following from here: click here

"The write-protect option cannot be used with FAT32 partitions in Windows 95/98. If the write-protect option is enabled, a hard drive partitioned with FAT32 will give the following error message when Windows is trying to boot up:

Write fault error writing drive C Abort, Retry, Fail? .........

john miles 13:37 01 Oct 03

When I looked a the BIOS settings I discovered that drives C: (and A:) had been set to write protect (whole drive, not just boot sector). Don't know how this happened (possibly low backup battery voltage for BIOS ROM?), but clearing it seems to have cured the problem.
I presume it only was detected on bootup because once windows is going it doesn't use BIOS settings for drive C (I believe).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…