WPK-TKIP & WEP Securiity on Vista and XP

scp99 15:31 23 Jan 08

Hi I have a Netgear WNR854T RangeMax Next Wireless Cable DSL Router & two laptops connected to the network.

One laptop is running Windows Vista the other XP.

I joined the new vista laptop to the network using 64bit WEP security and both laptops can connect through to the internet. Everything seems fine.

When I try to tighten the security to WPA-TKIP via the router and the network settings on the laptops, only the Vista laptop will connect.

The laptop running XP gets "limited or no connectivity". I have tried all that I know to rectify the problem. Changing the security settings to WPA, changing the network key accordingly, and ensuring various boxes in the Wireless Network are unchecked, such as Authentication 802.1EEEE etc.

Does anyone know of a solution or can think of anything that I have may have overlooked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

pchelper001 17:10 23 Jan 08

sometimes netowrk adapters inbuilt in pc's dont support the newest security. i had the same problem with the laptop im writing this on now. I bought it in nov, with built in wireless, and it doesn't support WPA! Im just hoping a future driver update may rectify this! Try updating your drivers for your adapter..

Hope this helps a bit

scp99 20:57 23 Jan 08

Many thanks will give it a go and let you know if this resolves the problem.

Ashrich 21:42 23 Jan 08

XP needs service pack 2 for full WPA encryption , and if it is a bit light on processor and memory that can also cause problems as WPA uses a lot of processing to decrypt the key .

Ashley

scp99 21:49 23 Jan 08

Thanks for the info.

The XP laptop is running service pack 2 and only has 512MB of RAM. The processor is a bit slow.

Ashrich 18:02 24 Jan 08

Are you using the supplied software that came with the adapter or Windows to manage the wireless connection ?

Ashley

Dipso 20:54 24 Jan 08

I have a Rangemax Next router, not the same model as yours but...I found I could only use a 35 digit or less WPA key or I couldn't connect.

scp99 09:30 25 Jan 08

Hi, thanks Ashrich and Dipso and Pchelp001. From the tips and advice offered I will have another serious attempt tonight when I have some time and will try again. Will let the forum know how I get on, just in case it of use to anyone else.

Many thanks to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac