WPA security on old laptop

khareji 09:13 20 Jul 07

Hi guys. Just managed, with the help of past threads on networking, to get wireless connection to an old (Toshiba PS 4600) laptop via a Belkin G+ MIMO router by changing the channels. However, I can't apply WPA security to the laptop because it's running Windows 2000 - when I tried last night my connection dropped off. So at the moment I'm not secure - very worrying. Can I apply WEP security without any loss of connection, and if so is it still secure? Replies, bearing in mind I'm not a wiz, greatly appreciated!

Taff™ 09:24 20 Jul 07

WEP should be OK but is obviously not as secure. Try it and see. Are you sure that WPA security won`t run on the laptop?

Batch 09:33 20 Jul 07

I thought the security was a feature of the networking hardware (and its associated drivers etc.) and so wold have expected the laptop to be OK with WPA unless you are using a very old wireless adapter plugged into the lappie that doesn't support WPA.

wrg 10:26 20 Jul 07

I'm with Batch. The setting of the type of security shoud be in the security settings of the router.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 20 Jul 07

I use a usb wireless adapter on aan old win 2000 laptop the network adptor for the adaptor allows me to use WPA.

postie24 18:59 20 Jul 07

Some older network cards wont accept WPA-2 encryption,but with WPA you should be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…