wpa card and router advice needed

v8 00:08 25 May 06

hi, being a total noob at wireless networking, i need some advice please. at present i have two desktops wired via a router, but have bought a second hand laptop for the daughter to use MSN messenger on and need to go down the wireless route. after reading posts on this site, wpa or wpa2 appear to be the best security, so could someone recommend a good pcmcia card that has either wpa or wpa2 (i presume the card needs it as well as the router?) and a wireless router that is compatible/wpa or wpa2 enabled/ easy to set up (i warn you - i will be coming back for advice on MAC filtering, SSID etc if it's not self-explanatory in the instructions as i have no idea what these features are or what they do!!). the router will need at least 2 rj45 sockets as i am leaving both desktops wired, with only the laptop wireless. broadband is via an NTL cable modem, everything is on xp pro sp2. the laptop is a compaq Evo N800c, Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M 2GHz, 512 RAM. in device manager under modems, it has a Lucent Win Modem - not a clue what this is; and under PCMCIA adapters, it has a Texas Instruments PCI-1410 Cardbus Controller - again, no idea what this is. (does any of the above mean it is already wireless-enabled, and if so how do i access it? - possibly the subject of another thread???). any help is greatly appreciated and gratefully accepted. thanks in advance, rob

mgmcc 09:00 25 May 06

I don't know if it is still running, but PC World recently had an offer with the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Cable/DSL Router and USB 802.11g Wireless Network adapter bundled for £50. That would give you exactly what you require and the USB adapter is more sensitive that the PCI WiFi card in my PC, it really is very good.

v8 15:06 25 May 06

thanks for that mgmcc, been on pc worlds website - looks like that deal may have finished but it appears they're doing a similar one with netgear stuff so i may have a run down to my local store to check it out. would rather have a pcmcia card than a usb, especially as it's for the daughter and she might not be the most careful with things that stick out, but it could be the answer if it has the wpa security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…