wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe??

hugh-265156 01:32 14 Sep 03

i have windows xp and just now happened to notice wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe in task manager/processes.this is the first i have noticed these tasks running(i check a lot) and i am unsure as to what these two processes are.

i found click here and click here frankly i am none the wiser?i noticed because i normally have 17 processes running and now i have 19 and have not installed any software.

i ran spybot and adaware(updated) at lunchtime today and all was well.scanned with avg update 316 on thursday.pacmans site says ntvdm is:"Windows NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) for running 16-bit tasks on the 32-bit OS's (Windows NT, 2K and XP). Required if hardware on a machine with these OS's needs 16-bit DOS drivers".

then pacs portal links to click here this again means nothing to me im afraid,can anybody explain in simple terms what the processes are and what do they do please?thanks.

bvw in bristol 02:37 14 Sep 03

Found this click here which does not answer your question, but may help in providing an answer.

hugh-265156 02:52 14 Sep 03

its all a bit confusing now as i am only after checking again and now the two processes above are no longer running??

wiznyme 03:31 14 Sep 03

Keep XP, AVG & AdAware up to date and run regular scan's.

Don't worry about files you don't recognise, let them take care of it.

hugh-265156 15:45 14 Sep 03

^

BarryKeith 17:04 14 Sep 03

bvw in bristol's link gave you the answer, you have a 16bit program on your computer which requires these tasks to run,was in use when you first checked, but was not operating when you checked again.

hugh-265156 17:31 14 Sep 03

ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…