WOWEXEC

KevRog 18:53 08 Feb 03

I have recently purchased a PC with XP as operating system and I am getting a error message of 'WOWEXEC caused a General Protection Fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 000A:0032'
This seems to happen with older software and some cds that I try to install. A cfriend has XP and hasn't encountered these messages.

AndySD 19:00 08 Feb 03

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:10 08 Feb 03

You do not need wowexec as it usually should only be running when you are running 16bit apps/dos stuff. Disable it by unticking it from the start programmes.....start-run-type msconfig and hit start up tab. (this may be the wrong command for XP but I'm sure someone will post the correct one or type startup programmes into help)

G

KevRog 19:33 08 Feb 03

Thanks
But I don't have a windows cd as it was preloaded - I only have a red Recovery disk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…