Would you say my motherboard is screwed?

Bailey08787 16:06 11 Sep 06

The other day, for no apparent reason, my machine froze about 1 minute after booting up.

After resetting quite a few times since, the machine continues to freeze up, typically within a maximum of 30 seconds of booting up to windows (if it makes it that far it is)

I have not recently introduced any new hardware or software, so think I can confidently rule out any conflicts.

Upon opening up the case, I discovered that the fan on the northbridge is not working (and doesn't look like it has been working for some time).

So is it a fair assumption that my poor northbridge chip, as a result of having no cooling, has died?

.....and does this basically mean I need to buy a new motherboard?

thanks

woodchip 16:11 11 Sep 06

Try it with a new fan, Cooling works wonders

woodchip 16:12 11 Sep 06

PS if mobo and cooked it's goose it would not boot

Bailey08787 18:21 11 Sep 06

is a cooling really likely to revive a pc that freezes so quickly after boot up?

i didn't think the northbridge reached extreme temperatures (like a cpu) that would cause it to cease up so quickly

.......unless its breathed its last breath

DrScott 18:23 11 Sep 06

An overheated motherboard will freeze very quickly. Usually you'll notice the point of freezing getting earlier and earlier with each reboot.

One way of testing it is to open up the case and just point a desk fan at the northbridge whilst booting up and seeing what happens - saves the cost of a new fan if it isn't the culprit

Totally-braindead 18:41 11 Sep 06

I would get a Zalman passive northbridge heatsink like this click here its cheap, its effective and eliminates the future failure of the northbridge fan. My last PC had 3 fan failures in about 3 years, I replaced it with one of these about 3 years ago and its still running now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017