Would this work?

griffo 11:20 27 Aug 06

I conduct my work from two locations (Home office/City office) and have PC'c at my desk both 'ends'. I can and do, sometimes, connect each way via VNC to work on files but it's rather slow and has it's limitations.

I have a LaCie 250Gb USB HD and I've been wondering whether I could 'clone' my entire hard drive from one (or more) of my work PC's and just plug that in at either office to work from.

Before anyone thinks I've overlooked Laptops - I have a laptop but don't find it great for working on all day, a desktop arrangement, beacause of the larger keyboard and screen is much easier.

If the boot sequence on each desktop was altered to ask it to try the USB HD first to boot from, would that work? I would then do 'clone' back- ups to each PC and synchronise regularly, in case of loss/failure of the USB drive.

Just to clarify a bit, I use some bespoke business software that I can't multi-install, otherwise I would just carry my work files/folders on, say, a DVD.

I'm probably overlooking something really basic but would welcome thoughts?

SG Atlantis® 11:46 27 Aug 06

you want to boot from one hdd that you'll move from pc to pc?

It could work if both computers where identical and it was a retail copy of xp?

OEM instals look for serial numbers on hardware and each install will have different drivers and configurations for the hardware profile.

So if it's retail XP it won't look for the serial numbers and if the computers are identical then the hardware/driver configuration will be the same and should boot.

That's just my guess.

VoG II 11:46 27 Aug 06

I keep my work stuff in folders on my laptop and sync them to the company server over a VPN connection using SyncToy click here

This arrangement works very well for me.

griffo 12:03 27 Aug 06

SG - you've confirmed what I had feared about the different hardware configurations, so I think that finishes the idea - ah well!

VoG - I currently use something called ViceVersa Pro, which seems to do much the same? I'll take a close look at SyncToy to see if it does any better, 'cos it's free!

Thanks to both of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…