would a virus lose me ie?

carlinglover 14:24 17 Mar 04

friend had not got an anti virus installed and she installed avg after getting a warning about a possible virus (trojan i think) when she scanner her pc 27 viruses???? were on her system so she clean them up and checked for spy ware from ad aware and cleaned up her system... she then shut down and now cant connect aol properly of surf the net... in my earlier post we assumed it was ad-aware bot stupid me just remembered the viruses... so could they have deleted or corrupted her ie file?
thanks again for any help

carlinglover 14:29 17 Mar 04

does anybody know if we can repair her ie (she cant get on the net at all)without having to reinstall xp again..tried a repair install but that didnt work
cheers guys

vaughan007 14:43 17 Mar 04

An undetected virus infection such as the one you describe can cause all sorts of problems. Each virus usually has its own little set of annoyances.

Did the PC actually have 27 seperate viruses (with difference names, etc.)? Or did AVG just detect 27 files that were infected?

Trojans can do pretty much anything as many of them are designed to damage something. Look up the definition of trojan, virus and worm on google to familiarise yourself with the distinctions between them.

After an infectin like this one I would probably clean the PC using a virus scanner and reinstall windows for my own piece of mind. I would save any personal files onto CD and then scan them with an up to date virus scanner.

Hope this helps.

wizardofmann 14:44 17 Mar 04

Not an expert but had similar problem with ad aware software but not as serious.

Try undoing the repair carried out with ad aware. I found that certain sites were inaccesable after I cleaned up. If she blew away everything that may be why she is facing problems.

We are all guilty but the bottom line is ALWAYS read the instruction on use first!

vaughan007 14:46 17 Mar 04

Thank McAfee for the following definitions.

hat is a Virus?

A virus is a manmade program or piece of code that causes an unexpected, usually negative, event. Viruses are often disguised games or images with clever marketing titles such as "Me, nude."

What is a Worm?

Computer Worms are viruses that reside in the active memory of a computer and duplicate themselves. They may send copies of themselves to other computers, such as through email or Internet Relay Chat (IRC).

What is a Trojan Horse?

A Trojan horse program is a malicious program that pretends to be a benign application; a Trojan horse program purposefully does something the user does not expect. Trojans are not viruses since they do not replicate, but Trojan horse programs can be just as destructive.

carlinglover 14:52 17 Mar 04

not sure if they were 27 diff viruses or trojans but she cleaned them up..but has buggered her system so a reinstall is in order and ty all of you for your comments and help...
yet again you are all worth ya weight in gold..
tace care all and ty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…