Would reinstalling XP fix these problems?

spot the braincell 12:22 12 Feb 08

1)Windows installer kicking off every time I boot up for no apparent reason and trying to load my HP printer when this works ok anyway

2)PC running as slow as can be and programs forever not responding requiring I reboot

3)General whirring and clanking noises

If reinstalling XP did help would I need to do anything beforehand or merely reinstall?

Thanks folks

Stuartli 12:30 12 Feb 08

Try an XP Repair rather than a reinstall - it retains all your programs, applications, configuration etc.

See:

click here

for details on how to do it (ensure you do a Repair, NOT use the Recovery Console).

^wave^ 12:30 12 Feb 08

the only thing worrying is item3 could be a harddrive or fan on the way out i would try to find out what is causeing the noise and backup all your data quickly

Totally-braindead 12:57 12 Feb 08

Agree with both. The whirring noise could just be the hard drive working overtime but a clanking sound doesn't sound too good.

Its been said before but one the best pieces of kit anyone with a PC should have is an external hard drive. And of course you should use it, backup important documents and photos. And if things go really pear shaped then Acronis software for backing up the ENTIRE hard drive can be a godsend. The new Seagate/Maxtor software if you have a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive can clone the entire system onto a second drive and thats free. Have to say I haven't tried it myself but its worth considering as its free.

Act now before things get worse, try to work out where the noises are coming from. Perhaps its only a loose or faulty case fan but don't leave it find out whats causing it.

Just to add to Totally-braindeads post.
I use the seagate free version(powered by acronis) and it works perfectly.

Totally-braindead 13:09 12 Feb 08

And about the free Seagate/Maxtor software I believe that in order to use it all you need is one Seagate or Maxtor drive in your system, the others can be other makes but as long as theres one Seagate or Maxtor drive it works.

This is what I have read and I'm sure someone will correct me if I have this wrong. I can't test it myself as both my drives are Seagate already.

dms05 13:31 12 Feb 08

I did a reinstall on my son's Dell. It had much the same symptoms as yours. However the Dell allowed me to reinstall XP but retain existing programs and data (ie it didn't reformat the drive). This solved all the problems and the Dell now runs like a new machine. So if you don't have this option try a Repair first - you have nothing to loose and may not need to do a full install.

spot the braincell 13:59 12 Feb 08

Thanks Stuartli, ^wave^, Totally-braindead, *Raven* and dms05 I will sit down, make a cup of tea and follow up all your sound advice,
cheers Spot

woodchip 14:04 12 Feb 08

First thing to try is, try starting in Safe Mode by pressing F5 or F8 at startup then in safe mode double click my computer Properties\Tools\Disc Check Run a complete scan with auto fix box ticked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…