Would freeware protect as well as Norton 360?

Pineman100 16:53 13 Jun 08

My Norton 360 subscription is shortly going to need renewing, so I'm thinking about whether to do this or to replace it with something else. Norton seems to be very "fat" software, but I have to say that during the time that my wife and I have been running it on both our computers, we've never suffered any kind of malware problem.

A recent PCA article gave a very strong thumbs-up to a combination of Avast antivirus and Comodo firewall - both of which are free.

Does anyone have a view on whether this combination would give me as much protection as Norton 360?

I'd be interested in any comments/experiences, please.

polish 17:02 13 Jun 08

i use comodo and avg free never had any problems also spyware blaster and windows defender alot of people use free programs with no problems but some people feel happier to use the paid for programs if you want to pay there are some good alternatives

Pineman100 17:06 13 Jun 08

It's an attractive idea to have freeware, but the number one priority is obviously security.

The number two priority is to find software that's just as effective as Norton 360, but doesn't make such demands on the computer.

mfletch 17:06 13 Jun 08

The free versions of Avast>Comodo plus Windows defender would be ok for normal use,

mfletch

sunny staines 17:11 13 Jun 08

i use norton, tried avg and avast but gone back to norton, 2008 nis is fast and effiecent and a oem can be picked up from novatech at around half price on a regular basis.

skidzy 17:25 13 Jun 08
  Marko797 17:31 13 Jun 08

i use comodo, and avg8 (both free), plus spybot sd. never had any probs at all.

Pineman100 17:31 13 Jun 08

skidzy - thank you. I remembered seeing that very useful post a while back, but I couldn't remember what it was called, or who posted it!

Of the security software that you have listed in the post, may I ask which ones you use yourself?

polish 17:33 13 Jun 08

why not try them after all it costs nothing and see what you think they have never let me down but it is personal choice.click here-(OEM)/subcat/Internet-Utillities,-Back-Up-&-System-Maintenance. these seem to have good prices for oem as far as i know exactly the same but without instruction books etc

pj123 17:57 13 Jun 08

Norton is bloatware and I wouldn't have it on my computer.

I am running Comodo Firewall and Avast anti virus and up until now have had no problems.

But now see this thread:

click here

I have Windows Care 3 but something is stopping it running. Seems to be Avast. I was using AVG 8 and Zonealarm firewall but they slowed my PC down so much that I switched to Avast and Comodo.

Seems like that was a mistake.

skidzy 17:57 13 Jun 08

I run a network of seven computers at home,one connected directly to the router all the rest wireless.

All xp machines have AVG free coupled with Zonealarm free,the Vista machines have AVG free and using Vista's built in firewall (configured).

Adding Superantispyware/Spybot SD/Spywareblaster is normally enough for most to secure a pc.

And of course a backup using Acronis True Image.

These are my preferences and these are what i set up for others.
Some have there own preferences.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…