Would Firefox solve my problems?

Newuser3068 13:20 04 Dec 04

I recently had a major problem with an invasion of spyware and an illicit premium rate dialler (fortunately I spotted it and managed to limit my losses to £10). Following advice from this forum I have installed Spybot and Ad-aware, and these two packages have made me acutely aware of just how often spyware tries to get into my computer - like virtually every time I visit a new URL.
I've heard that Firefox is a web browser that's much more secure than IE. Does anyone have any comments for or against using this browser? Are there any disadvantages to having a browser that is not integrated into Windows? (I use ME).
All advice and experiences welcome.

Stuartli 13:40 04 Dec 04

I've been using Firefox 1.0 (plus the Thunderbird e-mail program) for about a month.

It's operation is very similar to Internet Explorer and you can download an ActiveX plug-in if you wish; it's definitely faster downloading pages and the tab feature is very useful.

Never regretted the change although IE is still available if I wish.

If you make the change both Firefox and Thunderbird will import all (well the vast majority) of your IE/OE configuration, address book, passwords etc.

Stuartli 13:40 04 Dec 04

I've been using Firefox 1.0 (plus the Thunderbird e-mail program) for about a month.

Its operation is very similar to Internet Explorer and you can download an ActiveX plug-in if you wish; it's definitely faster downloading pages and the tab feature is very useful.

Never regretted the change although IE is still available if I wish.

If you make the change both Firefox and Thunderbird will import all (well the vast majority) of your IE/OE configuration, address book, passwords etc.

bertiecharlie 14:10 04 Dec 04

Firefox is very good as Stuartli says. If you want an IE based browser have a look at AvantBrowser or SlimBrowser, or both. With both you can turn off ActiveX, Java Applets, and Scripts and if you are on a trusted site where you need one or more of these, you can just click them on again.

If you want to carry on using IE there is a programme called PopUpCop which you can use to toggle ActiveX, Java, and Scripts on and off and it sits on the toolbar.

I've been experimenting with various browsers lately, I've got eleven on this computer at the moment!

rômanab 21:42 04 Dec 04

What are they? off the top of my head I can only think of nine.

bertiecharlie 23:27 04 Dec 04

Avant,Slim,Mozilla Firefox1.0, Opera, Mozilla.org 1.73(just the browser), Maxthon, NetCaptor, Green, Crazy, K-meleon, MSN Explorer. If you add IE and AOL's browser that would make 13.

Just a bit of fun trying them all out. I must admit I like SlimBrowser. Its all down to personal choice really, although some are definitely better than others ie. I won't be buying NetCaptor!

Forgetting the aspect of features, the fastest I've found is K-meleon. There is a beta of this out which I tried briefly but it froze up twice so I've been using the established one.

I'm sure there are more but I'll leave it for a while I think ...

Valvegrid 23:38 04 Dec 04

Although Firefox is safer against certain exploits, none of them will protect against diallers being installed, because its nothing to do with the browser. You have Spybot and Ad-aware, which are both very good at getting rid of scumware, if you are on dial-up you'll need a program to block diallers, this one fits the bill nicely:

click here

bretsky 23:59 04 Dec 04

For my postings.

bretsky ;0)

Tycho 10:27 05 Dec 04

I have gone back to using IE6 as I find Firefox very slow. I have a dial up comnnection and use ONSpeed. I have changed to proxy for Onspeed as instructed but hat has made less difference than I would have hoped.

I like the smart menus that IE has but not Ff.

I fand that FF is slow to load up but it does have rather good control of the files that it stores.

N

Valvegrid 15:59 05 Dec 04

Try this extension called Tweak Network Settings, when its installed go to Tools you'll see Tweak Network Settings in the menu. When you click on it, click the Power radio button, it may speed things up a bit for you.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…