Would like to connect my laptop to PC - beginner.

sillymarmoset 11:14 04 Apr 05

Hello,

I would like to network my Laptop and PC. Both run XP home edition and are fairly new. I have broadband on the PC. I really do not mind what method is best - wired or wireless I just need to know the very basics of connecting. Does anyone konw of a simple book that I could purchase?
I need to swap files for work related projects and share the broadband connection when at home.

Kind Regards
John Scott

LastChip 11:51 04 Apr 05

First you must decide, do I want to go wired or wireless.

Wired is a faster connection; Wireless is more convenient.

If you already have network cards built into the machine (RJ45 connections) the cheapest way is to buy a CROSSOVER cable and connect the two machines together. XP will do the rest for you! If you choose this method, the machine that is directly connected to the Internet MUST be on, for both machines to access the Internet together.

Alternatively, you could buy a Router or Modem/Router. A Modem/Router is necessary if you don't already have an external modem. These can be either wired or wireless. With this method, the router becomes your gateway to the Internet and each machine can connect individually (without the other being on).

As already mentioned, a lot will depend on whether you already have built in network cards, which you may, due to cost considerations, wish to utilise.

click here for an overview and good read on networking in general. All it will cost you, is a little of your time!

zarobian 15:39 25 Apr 05

An execellent link. Had a good read out. Well done and thanks to you for puting in your reply to sillymarmoset.

01chris 20:30 25 Apr 05

I wanted to do exacty the same thing as you so all i did was buy some patch (crossover cable) click here and use the xp network wizard. Cable universe, see link above, I order from often and they are very good, speedy delivery. The only thing i dont like about this option is how close you have to be to the host pc. (obviously this depends on your cable length mine is short). It is by far the cheapest and most easiest option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…