Would like broadband but........

mrsp 20:01 15 Apr 04

I have two computers (never used at the same time), one is upstairs. If I were to put a broadband modem on each one, with the existing phone sockets, would this work, more so would it be allowed ?. Thank you

mrsp 20:07 15 Apr 04

forgot to add, if this is not possible would I be able to use broadband on the main computer and
leave the other as it is, using it online as it usually is ?. Than you

stalion 20:14 15 Apr 04

You can use Broadband on both computers providing the spec on both is adequate.When you apply you will need the extra equipment provided by the ISP to enable you to use both computers.If you use one computer on Broadband the other one will not be able to use the internet because it will not be able to use the line.Regards

paddyjack 20:17 15 Apr 04

If you are going to keep them seperate a USB moden is not that hard to drag around the house.

Graham ® 20:24 15 Apr 04

You can have broadband in use on one computer, and dial-up 56K on the other, at the same time.

You can have a BB modem on each PC, but only plug one into the phone socket at a time.

As paddyjack, you can instal BB on both PCs, then transfer the modem as required. That is the most cost-effective way.

GaT7 21:03 15 Apr 04

I think you can easily link both PC's with b'band if you use a wireless router. Since the signal on the wireless network is very strong, you can travel quite a distance though obstacles to get the signal. A friend once told me that he knew someone who had a wireless network at home. They have a PC in the basement where the router and ADSL modem are, and he has another PC on the top floor. The signal is strong enough to travel through 3 floors of wood and drywall. click here for some more info & prices. Good luck, G

GaT7 15:53 16 Apr 04

Thought this may be helpful to you as well - 'Multiple PCs & one Internet Connection' from the MS website - click here

roy 16:42 16 Apr 04

Just a mention...you could rig up a simple ad hoc wireless network with just two of these.
click here

I have not tried them so cannot vouch for the signal strength. With an ad hoc arrangement both pc's could access the net at the same time but only one would be connected to it directly. The other would access the net through the first (the gateway) and could therefore only do that when your first pc was switched on and on line.
For more of the same click here
and click here

This is not necessarily the best solution but may be a cheap one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…