wot's dat then?

newearwax 14:59 20 Nov 04

I have ried to do a scan with my av and find that it lingers on documents and settings\...\Local setting\0x00

By search I find that there are 5 or 6 folders with mostly DAT files. Properties tells me that there are umpteen files in the folder with for example Size 5.51MB /size on Disk 69.5MB

Can you explain why rhe two figures are so different in properties and if these vey large folders and content can be safely pruned or deleted?

Buchan 35 22:12 20 Nov 04

I cannot explain your dilemma except to say there are over 70,000 files on the average computer. And I expect to be corrected on that little bit of data. I am going by my own!

stalion 22:36 20 Nov 04
  newearwax 17:56 23 Nov 04

Thanks all. In fact by looking at the properties of these numerpous files I found that my virus scanner was, in a deep scan unpacking archived files to scan them and producing Temp files that I could safely delete.

I notice that "Word" docs in properties are always checked by "archive" but other progs do not have the option. With word will unchecking the box before deletion result in no archive being stored and, if so, is there a way to get the same result with other progs where the option is not shown in properties?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…