worth upgrading to windows xp home on this laptop?

herc182 18:31 31 Oct 05

I am running another thread regarding my girlfriends laptop.She is running a dell inspiron 8000 pentium III 800Mhz with 256mb ram (recently upgraded from 128mb).
would win xp home run ok on this? i can get it from ebuyer (OEM version) for £62. given that from my experience, windows millennium is a poor version of windows, i think it would be money well spent.

your thoughts and comments as always are welcome!

PaulB2005 18:34 31 Oct 05

"i can get it from ebuyer (OEM version) for £62"

Under the new rules that won't be legal.

I run WinXP Home on a old PIII 800 but with 512Mb RAM. 256 Mb would be ok but consider another 256....

Chegs ® 19:19 31 Oct 05

My laptop(233Mhz CPU/64Mbs EDO RAM)was bought with XP Pro loaded,fine if all it was for was to say I had XP Pro. :-)

I reinstalled 98se,and still upgraded the RAM to max (92Mbs) Your laptop will run XP but could do with more RAM though.

herc182 07:20 01 Nov 05

"Under the new rules that wont be legal". what rules are they?

thanks for your replies.

Thought that the ram might be the bottleneck.

herc182 07:33 01 Nov 05

I know there will be people who will have my membership to pcadvisor revoked by suggesting this, but would it be ok to install my version of windows xp on her laptop TO SEE IF IT WORKS! then if so i will buy her a version.problem is i can up date it can i to see if sp2 will work?

thanks

PaulB2005 07:37 01 Nov 05

"Under the new rules that wont be legal". what rules are they?

The new ones that state that OEM copies can ONLY be sold with a complete new system. click here

g0slp 08:25 01 Nov 05

If the existing OS is legitimate then PC World are selling XP Home SP2 upgrades for just under £90.

The only reason I mention the legitimacy of the existing OS is that the upgrade package won't run unless that's the case.

ventanas 08:44 01 Nov 05

New OEM rules click here You must buy a retail upgrade disc. Which won't be a great deal more, about £80.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…