Worth upgrading from Win 98 to Win 2000?

Okay, I'm probably opening the flood gate for responses on this one. I currently use Windows 98 and have problems now and then. However, most of the time, my system runs pretty well. I have a lot of applications on my system specifically developed for Win 95/98. For those of you who have upgraded from Win 98 to the NT-based Windows 2000, was it worth it? Was your system more stable? Did you have to upgrade most of your software, or was it compatible. Curious before I step up to the price tag of an update. Thanks -- Matt

-pops- 14:48 25 Jan 03

Why not the current Window version - XP? That too is NT based.

Brian

Lú-tzé 14:49 25 Jan 03

Go for a dual boot - you now have Win98 installed, so what you need is partition magic or a similar non-destructive partitioning tool. I did that about a year ago and have never looked back.

I use win2k 95% of the time and only win98 for a couple of progs which don't run well on 2k.

2k is stable and fast (if you go for NTFS) and well supported by MS.

Having said all that, if you have to go to buy 2k, why not buy XP? It has the all the good points of 2k - but is more resource hungry if you have an older processor /little RAM.

If you post your spec I will give my suggestions (for what they are worth!).

Thanks for responding. It's an older system, so system specs are as follows: In case you're wondering, the second drive is a clone that I use for Norton Ghost backups.

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
Clean install using OEM Preinstall Kit /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 5.50.4134.0600
Uptime: 0:02:03:00
Normal mode
Hewlett-Packard
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
320MB RAM
53% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (46852MB free)
Available space on drive C: 46852MB of 76297MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 46706MB of 76297MB (FAT32)

Lú-tzé 16:30 25 Jan 03

Pentium II mmx - not sure of clock speed there but I would not go with XP. Win 2k should be about 400MHz I would say. I have seen it on slower machines and it runs ok though. You have lots of RAM so should be ok on that front.

Why not go with a dual boot then? You just need a copy of Partition Magic (and win2k obviously).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…