worth the money?

Sorrowful 20:17 17 Nov 08

Regualr readers will know about my PC problems...thinking of splashing out big!
For £800 (box only) I can get

Dell XPA 420/2367
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor - 2.3GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 8 meg cache)
Vista Home Premium
4GB ram
750 GB hard drive
Dual format DVD re-writer
1GB ATi radeon 3870 x 2 graphics
etc....

Before I spend £800, is there any other system I should consider - want this high spec mainly for gaming...

Ex plorer 10:46 18 Nov 08

Look here click here I have had two PCs of them and they have been ok.

Sorrowful 21:26 18 Nov 08

Brilliant - thanks!

rustyboy 18:19 19 Nov 08

These two suppliers are also highly recommended.

click here
click here

Take a look. With regards to the one you've shown us. Stay away from it. its overpriced for what you get.

Pineman100 17:15 21 Nov 08

do you need to? That's a pretty high spec machine you've got your eye on - and a high price for just the base unit, too. Do you really need all that power? Are you a gamer?

FatboySlim71 23:10 21 Nov 08

I would recommend Cougar Extreme, I have never dealt with a place that allows has much choice/customization as to what goes into the PC.

I know my next PC will be from Cougar. I have dealt with the customer service and it is absolutely superb, which is nice to know if the need arises for the need to use it. I needed to send my PC back to them, Cougar arranged the pick up, this was free of charge, the computer was sorted and returned to me very quickly. Any other places I have dealt with have expected me to pay the return cost even though the computer was under warranty.

I have dealt with Cube247 also but IMO Cougar beat them by a monumental amount both on the quality of the machines and the customer service.

With Cougar you basically start by choosing your case from the array of choices, next you choose your Motherboard, power supply, drives, drive size etc. So basically you know exactly what the brands etc of what components are going into your PC, unlike some PC's where they sometimes use cheap un-branded components.

If you do a search on here for Cougar Extreme, you will see how highly they are thought of.

Also do a search for Cube247 and compare the results and see which you might prefer.

Sorrowful 23:30 23 Nov 08

thanks fatboy.....
Cougar looks good as does Cube, will certainly get lots more from my money than the Dell.
The issue is for me, as a beginner, I dont know what motherboard I want, the choice of graphics cards is bewildering, etc etc.
i know the more I spend, the better PC I get but I am on a budget.
This is a big ask but, I want a PC I can go and buy a game for and play it at a reasonable resolution etc without worry. I store some films on my PC, use the internet and a bit of basic word processing etc

if I gave you £600-ish to spend, base unit alone, what would people buy?

FatboySlim71 07:16 24 Nov 08

If you contacted Cougar, I'm sure they could advise you on the best motherboard for gaming.

Also, having a look around on the net might give you some ideas has to which motherboard to go for also. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…