Is this worth 800 quid?

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:21 01 May 04

I have seen the following advertised in a mag and would like to know if it's the bargain they're saying it is, or could I get a same spec system cheaper elsewhere?

AMD Athlon 64 3400
Micron 1024mb DDR RAM
Western Digital 400GB HD (2 x 200gb) ATA-133 7200rpm
ATI Radeon 9800 128mb Graphics card with TV out and DVI
NEC 8x Multiformat DVD burner
MSI 16x DVD rom
ATI PCTV system with media center software
10-in-1 card reader
2 x 1934 firewire ports
10/100 ethernet
floppy
All standard I/O ports and 7 bay full ATX expandable case

£799 inc VAT

This sounds pretty good to me, but I'm no expert.

I think the graphics card could be better but I'm not a heavy gamer so can live with it.

Any advice/opinions would be gratefully received.

TIA

Tas

woodchip 22:31 01 May 04

It's good if you can afford it and even better if you have a use for a comp with all that power

woodchip 22:32 01 May 04

PS don't forget that there is no monitor in the above list and you have not said OS

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:43 01 May 04

OS is XP home,

No mention of moniter as standard, just upgrade price of £99 for 17"TFT

sidecar sid 22:47 01 May 04

Good spec,i assume this is a Tiny PC So don't forget to add £39.99 for delivery and a minimum of £59.99 for a system recovery disc and one year collect and return warranty.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:53 01 May 04

It is from Tiny. Am I correct in thinking that I can create my own system recovery disc when I get it? I seem to recall hearing that the OS is in a hidden partition on these pcs and you can just burn a copy off and reformat if needed? Or is a system recovery disc something else?

Oh, and with regard to the monitor, I can use my current one if one isn't supplied so no great loss there.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Tas

byfordr 22:59 01 May 04

click here

A quick search on Time or Tiny should reveal all ;-)

R

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:44 01 May 04

Thanks,

I followed your link, made interesting reading. I am in the same boat as VEG, currently using a Tiny PC (5 years old) and have never needed to call support line. I am using an external ADSL modem so should be okay on that front.

Don't really understand the significance of the ps 250w?

Also, I have red hat 9, so is a restore disc needed?

TIA

Tas

byfordr 23:57 01 May 04

Modern technology is a greedy thing (on power) Hard drives, graphics card, optical drives etc all suck out power like theres no tomorrow. A rough guide here click here

The old Tiny is no more. There have ceased to be. They are an ex-company. For new Tiny read Time :-( Any support or lack thereof will be through Time. To me although good spec on some computer bit, they have shaved off too much in other areas. Try dell, evesham, mesh, novatech, systemax.

R

Ironman556 00:32 02 May 04

"Radeon 9800 could be better"... yes but that's a couple of hundred £££ of graphics, even if not the pro version.

400Gb hdd?! AMD 64?! and DVD burner.

That sounds a good deal to me. my only worry would be the quality of the components for that price. A badly made Radeon 9800 could probaly be matched bu a well made 9600 Pro, which you can get a lot cheaper.

johnnyrocker 00:38 02 May 04

aint no such thing as a bargain maybe only on a temporary basis.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…