Worryingly slow start up

geoff47 13:18 16 Oct 10

Over the past few days my PC has started at a crawl, whats more when getting to the desk top stage it just shows the wall paper for an interminable time before finally showing any icons on the desk top.I mean two or three minutes maybe more.
Today I upgraded to the latest free AVG, use Commodo Forwall, I have installed and use CCleaner Auslogics defrag, Glary's Utilities.

Any clues as to what might be the problem ?

birdface 13:30 16 Oct 10

Check air vents for dust or fluff if any inside will also need cleaning.
Poor download speed from your ISP.
Drivers needing updated.
System restore to when it was working ok.
You never mentioned any anti-malware programs that you have downloaded.
Maybe download,update,and run Malwarebytes free and see what it finds.

geoff47 13:38 16 Oct 10

I have Malwarebytes and shall release it to have a go.
Virgin Broadband is my provider, that shouldn't affect start up surely, download speed is satisfactory once booted.
Never considered the air vents etc. shall get my hoover out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 16 Oct 10

How many programs do you have trying to run on start?

Use CCleaners - tools -startup to find out

geoff47 14:07 16 Oct 10

Only programs starting up are AVG, Commodo,ctfmons.exe whatever that is and VTTimer and Soundman

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 16 Oct 10

ctfmons.exe is used by office you can disable it at start

VTTimer is for S3 graphics card, leave it alone

soundman.exe is a installed with Sound cards made by Realtek. This process merely places an icon on the system tray for easy access to diagnostic features. This program is a non-essential process and can be disabled on start.

birdface 14:29 16 Oct 10

Not sure if you need any of the last 2 running at start up.ctfmon.exe is office.that just comes back if you untick it.VTT Timer is something to do with chipset updates.
I woulsd untick the last 2 in msconfig.
Then if you think you need them at any time just tick them again.

birdface 14:31 16 Oct 10

Oops a bit late with that.Just follow Fruit Bat /\0/\s way.

birdface 14:44 16 Oct 10

Sorry Dave should have asked you are not connected by a wireless router are you.
Only asked As my daughter is getting problems with her connection using Virgin.

geoff47 15:48 16 Oct 10

I have sorted it out thanks.
Did a System Restore, but seemed to lose AVG original and update, it wouldn't let me update so I have uninstalled and will re install it.

I don't have Office on my PC I use Open Office, so I shall tick that one and Soundman.
It should fly now ?

geoff47 16:31 16 Oct 10

The AVG install was a bit slow, seems like these programs get heavier and heavier, trying to impress.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…