WORMS

zarobian 23:04 18 Feb 05

My friend had a serious problem with his Advent Computer to the extent that it was displaying only "Media Play" on a white fuzzy background.He is on a Broadband and running his computer withount any anti virus software.
Any how we decided to restore the system back to the factory settings and install Norton Anti Virus on it.During update Norton dedected some viruses and worms but could not fix the following three worms.(1) W32.spybot.worm (2) W95.CIH (3)W32.sdbot.worm.gene.y
I ran the uptodate version of Stinger and also ran (1) FixSober (2)FXMydoom (3)FXSasser and (4)ntskygui (5) Spybot S&D
None of these detected any thing although the worms mentioned were constantly being reported by Norton. I then install the SP2 and downloaded all the scurity fixes. No joy. Instead it got me into another trouble. It was now reporting problem with Motorolla Cable Modem!!!
Help please.

ade.h 23:06 18 Feb 05
  ade.h 23:07 18 Feb 05

Oh, and also try putting the virus names into Google to get the relevant removal tools. Various sources.

SANTOS7 23:09 18 Feb 05

click here
click here
click here
these may help,good luck.........

stalion 23:11 18 Feb 05

sp2 needs to be installed on a clean system would suggest you uninstall it until you have resolved the above problems

VoG II 23:17 18 Feb 05

Yes well don't panic. The fool (for not having AV) has obviously had these on for ages. The first thing to do is to disable System Restore click here reboot, re-enable System Restore and see what's left.

Does he/she have a full Windows disk or a restore disk? Do they have irreplaceable documents on their PC (if they do well my thoughts are unspeakable on this forum).

zarobian 08:57 19 Feb 05

Thanks to you all for guidence.I have now down loaded on my computer and saved to a DVD disk the following tools suggested by SANTOS7:
Kill_CIH.EXE
Noadware.exe
Xoftspy410setup.exe
Armed with these tools I shall attack my frinds machine.
VoG
I did disable the System Restore when I discovered that the Machine has been infected by Viruses and Worms.No point keeping them in a safe bag to reappear again. Thanks for reminding.
Yes he has the System Recovery disk which will be my last resort. No precious documents.Only games.
stalion
Thanks for the tip will uninstall sp2 for the time being.
ade.h
Thank you very much for the tip. Just downloaded the Removal tools using your idea of Google search.

ade.h 20:52 19 Feb 05

Happy to help, Zarobian. Let us know how it works out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:52 19 Feb 05

Individual virus removers:_
Bitdefender click here

zarobian 15:39 26 Feb 05

I got time to-day to visit my friend. The tools suggested by SANTOS7 worked out perfectly. Within half an hour cleared all worms. Updated the Norton and run it again. System found to be clean. Deactivaed the system Restore and after restarting the computer re activate it again.

Thanks guys for all the help.

zarobian 09:32 02 Mar 05

Sorry to mention that your suggestios worked very well in the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…