worm/nachi

Carried out a clean install of XP (my first), installed Zone Alarm and AVG.Connected to the internet when AVG immediately reported the presence of the nachi virus.When I attempted to move it to the virus vault, AVG reported that it was unable to move
FileC:/windows|system32|wins|DLLHost.EXE.
Have had a look on the microsoft site and there is a patch to download - but is this a question of shutting the stable door etc.
Can anyone in simple terms let me know how to remove this virus, or do I have to reformat and try and download the patch before the virus detects me :)

johnnyrocker 09:22 09 Nov 03

you could go to click here and have an on line virus scan done, when cleansing it is important that system restore is disabled as a file hides in there which might be why avg says it cant be removed.

cheers.

johnny.

VoG II 09:31 09 Nov 03

Get the patch from Microsoft first.

Disable System Restore, then run Stinger click here

Thanks for the replies. I never thought of system restore. Will try later today and let you know.

Still can't get rid of it. Disabled system restore and ran AVG which detects and refuses to remove the virus.Tried the McAfee utility which detects and then suggests I use AVG to remove which it refuses to do.Have also tried disabling Zone Alarm and AVG while doing all this.Any other suggestions ?

VoG II 17:29 09 Nov 03

Removal tool click here

Note - Welchia is Symantec/Norton name for Nachi.

VoG II 17:31 09 Nov 03

P.S. you must install the patch click here before doing anything else.

Thanks VoG, downloading patch as I type.Will then try Norton site. Just a thought - could I go into the registry and delete it from there?

VoG II 18:20 09 Nov 03

I would let the Norton tool or Stinger deal with it.

Sorted. Thanks everyone, once again you've proved what a brilliant site this is. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos