bluenote 23:20 15 Mar 04

I have twice recently been infected bt this virus,and although I have "healed" it using avg I am surprised that it has come back.Is there any way of permenently removing it .

Giggle n' Bits 00:37 16 Mar 04

Do all the Windows updates for security patches

Make sure if running XP have the Firewall protection Switched on

If you have ME or XP disable system restore then vamp it away then reboot then enable system restore.

Perosnally, remove AVG and get a dedicated retail Norton 2004.

bluenote 22:42 16 Mar 04

It has come back again in a different folder, after removing it once again.I have only recieved two emails since last removing the virus .One from my isp,and one from pc advisor.niether of whom I would suspect of an infected email.so where could it be coming from.any ideas.

bluenote 22:44 16 Mar 04

although after running avg it did not detect a virus.

georgemac 09:55 17 Mar 04

stick with avg - it does the job well, I assume it is up to date.

I also suspect it will be on your drive in a restore point.

you need to switch off system restore to delet all restore points - open control panel dbl click on system, when the system properties box appears click on the system restore tab and tick disable system restore. do a virus scan with up to date avg then switch system restore back on and create a retore point. click here a guide to system restore

switch off the xp firewall and download and install sygate personal firewall - free for home users - click here

a lot of trojans now enter your pc from a web page through an open port while you are surfing the net - they do not neccessarily come in via email.

click here and scroll down to the shields up test and test how effective your firewall is.

I hope this helps

stlucia 12:38 17 Mar 04

I agree with georgemac. I had the virus last weekend, and AVG detected it. I then made two mistakes:- (1) I didn't read the small print on the screen after the virus scan which said that AVG couldn't heal the infected file, but would put it into quarantine for me if I clicked the correct button and, (2) I didn't know about switching off restore points, so when I re-booted I was still infected.

Once I'd switched off XP restore points (suggested by AOL help desk), and followed the AVG on-screen instructions about quarantine, my system was cleaned.

bluenote 13:17 17 Mar 04

thanks for your advice.I did as you said except I installed zone alarm.so far no sign of virus.thanks again

georgemac 13:37 17 Mar 04

zone alarm should be OK too. g;ad you got it fixed and got yourself protected - advise all your friends to do the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…