Worm/Lovsan.A

blanco 13:14 03 Oct 03

The background is that my daughter bought a new computer with Windows XP Home edition in the middle of August whilst I was staying with her and I set it up and installed AVG Free Edition and Zone Alarm.
At that time she was on Blueyonder dial up whilst waiting for Broadband to be set up which it was early in September.
Since then she has booted up and connected to the internet each time she gets home from work and checks AVG for updates and then runs the full test.
She has also downloaded all critical updates from the Windows site.
On Tuesday this week, after leaving the computer on whilst eating, when she returned there was a message saying that Resident Shield had discovered Worm/Lovsan.A and she should run the full test to remove.
On running the full test she has the report that no viruses were found.
This has been repeated every evening since. Windows Update confirms she has no outstanding critical updates and her AVG shows the latest 29.09 03 virus database.

Security update KB824146 release early September was supposed to have solved this.
Is this the same patch as on Security Bulletin MS03-026 or should she try downloading this to make sure? Presumably the standard XP Home is the 32 bit version.

How else can she check? If there is no MSBLAST.EXE file does this mean it is clear or that it could still be activated?

Sadly, she is not just round the corner so I am dealing by telephone and Windows Messenger but I now need some help please.

MAJ 13:20 03 Oct 03

Get her to download Stinger click here, blanco, but before running it, disable System Restore to delete any infected restore points, run Stinger and if given the all clear, re-activate System Restore.

Jester2K II 13:28 03 Oct 03

If its been fouind in a directory called system volume information then its in the System Restore.

Right Click My Computer, Properties, System restore. Switch SR off.

Reboot.

Scan PC with AVG.

Switch SR back on.

blanco 14:45 03 Oct 03

MAJ and Jester2K II

thanks a bundle

I'll get her on it as soon as she logs on this evening and if all goes well will return and tick.

blanco 19:42 03 Oct 03

Got her to try Jester's method first as this was slightly simpler for a novice. Got regular updates from her on messenger as to progress and, with the machine left running for a couple of hours there has been no sign of a repeat of the warning. So thanks again fellas.
I'm keeping Stinger up my sleeve just in case.

Jester2K II 19:48 03 Oct 03

Keep an eye on this page click here as Stinger gets updated every now and then to cover new threats. Really it only covers the "big" ones as it were.

Sounds like it was in the Sr then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…