Worm Attack on my Hotmail email address!!!!

julius44 19:04 20 Aug 08

Hello there, I opened an email from a friend of mine the other day,..my email address is a hotmail email address, and the attachment was titled "watch the elephant". I didnt even open the the realplayer attachemt, but it seems to have replicated itself, and and is sending copies to my correspondents even now. I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, it has not brought up anything...but i dont know if i can get it to scam my hotmail email address, and if i can how can i do this. I need to know HOW i can get this problem sorted, as all my friends keep telling me to stop sending it to them, i've deleted this email, but it still seems to be sending it to my contacts. Any suggestions please???

Thanks
Jules

julius44 21:29 20 Aug 08

hello Marg7, I am accessing my hotmail through my browser.

julius44 22:15 20 Aug 08

Hi Marg7, i've downloaded the cc cleaner, and installed it, ive used it on my pc, now, and ive used mu kaspersky to scan my pc for any nasties, but i'm thinking that i dont know if i can set kaspersky to scan my hotmail email address

DieSse 22:30 20 Aug 08

"i dont know if i can set kaspersky to scan my hotmail email address"

You can't set Kaspersky to scan anything that's on-line and not in your computer, if that's what you mean.

It's probably not your system, nor your hotmail account that's actually sending out these emails - but someone who is spoofing your hotmail address from somewhere else. And if that is the case, there's nothing you can do about it.

lotvic 00:01 21 Aug 08

the only thing you could do is ditch that email addy and get a new one

DieSse 00:58 21 Aug 08

"the only thing you could do is ditch that email addy and get a new one"

However that wouldn't stop a spoofer carrying on using the old address.

Ditch999 15:50 21 Aug 08

Its possibly the "friend" that sent the email to you julius44 that is sending it to all the others. A virus on their PC could read the Address Book and send emails to everyone in it and use your address as the sender.

I suggest telling the person who sent it to you to check their PC for a virus.

Check the message header for the real sender as well.

cscottyr 12:36 19 Sep 09

The same thing is happening to me. My hotmail account has spammed my address contacts 2 times in 2 weeks. I actually opened the offending mail with my blackberry (not the attachments). Can't find anything on the 2 pc's that use that account. Can't easily check the blackberry.

DieSse 15:00 19 Sep 09

Change your hotmail password to a strong password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac