'Works'

Windsor 13:20 01 Apr 04

I run W98SE with Office 2000 installed.
Recently, I have started getting a message on booting up saying 'Works cannot access one or more required files.
I am not concious of installing 'Works' so where did it come from. As far as I know, I don't need it but how can I either re-instal it or get rid of the message?? Is it part of Windows or Office?

Windsor

prb 13:38 01 Apr 04

I am assuming that your are referring to Microsoft Works - this is a basic office suite often supplied with a new PC, but neither a part of Office or Windows. I know the word processing element saves files with a .wks extension, not sure about the other file types.

If you don't use it, why not try removing the prog through control panel> add/remove software

Windsor 15:39 01 Apr 04

Thanks prb. However, I have never had Works installed and there is no mention of it in Instal/Remove software. Also, I think perhaps the problem may be in Office 2000 but I cannot remove it my the usual means. Any clues? Works was certainly not pre-installed in my PC because I have reformatted since having it.

Windsor

Diodorus Siculus 15:41 01 Apr 04

Try a repair of O2K from the help, detect and repair menu.

Windsor 15:59 01 Apr 04

What is 02K?

Diodorus Siculus 16:00 01 Apr 04

O2K - Office 2000

You will need the CD to do a repair.

VoG II 16:01 01 Apr 04

Diodorus Siculus means Office 2000.

I would also suggest that you Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK. Look at what is loading on the Startup tab.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…