working offline

bert52a 15:45 30 Apr 05

my internet connection at work is not reliableso I'd like to set up web pages at home to view offline.A few times when I've tried to do this a few pages haven't been available.
with windows 98 I'm sure I could always just revist any sites that I'd viewed online when I went offline.Is it worth using software that can save a whole site?

ade.h 16:03 30 Apr 05

If you're using IE, you can use the Synchronize option under Tools, but I think it saves either just the current page or the entire site including linked pages.

I'm not certain about that, as I haven't bothered with IE in ages! Firefox has so many useful extensions available for just this sort of task; you might want to give it a try. click here

ade.h 16:06 30 Apr 05

Oh, and BTW: if you configure IE's options (from Tools) to not clear the cache when the browser is closed, and set the refresh rate to never (Options, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings) the pages should be viewable from the links in your history list. Hope that helps.

bert52a 16:21 30 Apr 05

I'll try your suggestions for IE.
I've tried firefox but I found there were lots of things I couldn't do like playing real player or other video files .Also i couldn't figure out how to work offline with it unless it's improved in the last couple of months.

ade.h 16:52 30 Apr 05

Firefox can take a little getting used to, but there is virtually nothing significant that IE can do without Firefox matching it. Have a look at the plugins and you'll find support for Realplayer, among other things. The open-source nature of Firefox means that it's always evolving via extensions and plugins.

IE should be able to meet your particular need as described above, once suitably configured. Happy surfing.

bert52a 16:57 30 Apr 05

thanks for your time.I'll give firefox another go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…