work/home access

2020 21:54 12 Dec 03

hi have just aquired a laptop from work which gives me access to internet, however IT guy said i cannot connect to internet at home. please advise if i can? laptop is w2000 professional home is Wxp.
thanks m

Daveboy 22:19 12 Dec 03

Is the l/top set up to access the internet via your LAN at work or does it merely use a dial up service ? Former no good at home (unless you VPN to works system) If latter it should work. They probably don't want you using the net unless protected by their systems so you don't inadvertently introduce viruses etc, quite the norm for businesses.

smegs 23:01 12 Dec 03

2020, my wife has a L/top from work, she can not use the net from home has she has to log on into works server.

Sir Radfordin 00:39 13 Dec 03

You really need to find out if they would be happy for you to connect - as Daveboy points out lots of companies don't allow it because of the risks that are involved.

If they've said you can't/shouldn't do it then its not right that forum memebers tell you how to go against this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…