Workgroup set up only half working

A&D 19:46 08 Nov 06

I have an Evesham Solar desktop running XP Media and a Sony Vaio laptop running XP Home. Both have the same Bullguard network security. I have a brand new Belkin G+ Router connected to my cable modem. I have broadband internet access via the cable modem to ntl (always on). The desktop is connected to the router via Ethernet cable and the laptop uses the wireless route. I have set up the system so that both the desktop and the laptop can connect to the internet and this works OK.

I have been trying to create a workgroup so that both the computers can share files. I have run through the wizards and checked that all names are compatible. When I click on Network Places, my desktop can see the laptop but when I try on the laptop I get a message to say the laptop is denied access to the network - even though it can connect to the internet.

I have repeated the set up procedure several times and gone through the Windows help sequence but have drawn a blank.

Any ideas for a solution would be appreciated.

mgmcc 22:26 08 Nov 06

Have you configured any firewall software to allow access to the networked computers?

A&D 09:22 09 Nov 06

"Have you configured any firewall software to allow access to the networked computers?"

No I haven't done that. I've seen no reference to having to do this in any guides for setting workgroups. However, if you think this is a possible cause of the problem can you tell me how I reference a computer in the firewall please?

mgmcc 09:45 09 Nov 06

Firewall software, such as Zone Alarm, has the facility to add the IP addresses of the networked computers or, preferably, the Subnet into a "trusted zone", so that Local Area Network traffic isn't blocked. What firewall software are you using?

A&D 09:53 09 Nov 06

"What firewall software are you using?"

I am using Bullguard Firewall. After I sent my previous response, I investigated the firewall settings a bit more carefully and found the appropriate tick box to allow access to shared files on the LAN. The workgroup is now working properly from both PCs and I'm grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction. Kind regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…