WordPerfect 6.1 on XP - can't initiate

montyburns 08:03 21 Dec 04

We use WordPerfect 6.1 at work. OK, it's old but we prefer it to newer versions and to Word (we've got lots of macros, both WP and external, set up with it, and also custom dictionaries etc)

We don't want to change to another application, and are updating our PC's.

We have one, a Dell, which gives this message:-

"WPWIN61 caused an illegal instruction in module WPWIN61.EXE at 0093:2804

Choose close. WPWIN61 will close"

Can't get any further than this. Started once in Safe Mode, but now won't even do this.

Odd thing is, we've got it working on 4 other PC's all running XP Pro. Also use it at home on XP Home.

What should I be looking for? Done countless un-install and re-installs.... Driving me nuts!

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Diodorus Siculus 08:15 21 Dec 04

One cause / solution I have come accross suggests that it has to do with the defualt printer - in that case a hp machine.

Try changing the default printer and see if anything changes....

Sethhaniel 08:49 21 Dec 04

right clicking shortcut - select run in compatibility mode 95/98/ etc, also run in own memory

montyburns 18:55 21 Dec 04

At the mo there is no printer connected to the Dell PC.... Maybe this is a problem?!

Also tried the compatibility mode stuff and no joy.

:-(

Today tried to put alternative mouse driver on (Logitech - so I can use the middle button to double click) but it just reverts to the original. Tried to get round this by taking off the original driver, but now just getting an annoying blue screen every time I shut down.

Are Dell's problematic? We have two and one went belly up as we tried to load all our software. Now this one is playing up. Also System Restore refuses to work...

Any ideas?!?!

Dave

montyburns 00:09 23 Dec 04

Any more ideas anyone?

Please!

It's driving me nuts..... :-(

Dave

Diodorus Siculus 08:56 23 Dec 04

Are all PCs the same? Is so, take an image off one on which WP works and restore it to the one which will not work...

Less drastic perhaps, try a reinstall of the OS.

montyburns 18:29 23 Dec 04

I'd thought of the imaging thing, but at the mo that might be a bit beyond me!

Also thought of re-installing XP, but then you have to go through all the clat of getting in touch with Microsoft and re-registering it etc

Nothing is ever simple!

Dave

Diodorus Siculus 18:44 23 Dec 04

Well, activation is not a great problem if you are connected to the net. Install XP, then SP2 and then all relevant updates etc and then run the activation program.

montyburns 20:20 23 Dec 04

Not connected to the 'net!!!!

Dave

jack 20:27 23 Dec 04

In your own Words Word Perfect is old.
XP does not like old programs
As mentioned above try the compatabilty mode.
Right click on properites in the program or go the XP help and type compatability in the question field.
Then select the Program [Word Perfect] and then select 95/98.
If the program can be made to run it will present the start up screen.
But do not be too hopeful- you may be learning Word 2000+ yet.

montyburns 10:03 24 Dec 04

"In your own Words Word Perfect is old. XP does not like old programs As mentioned above try the compatabilty mode. Right click on properites in the program or go the XP help and type compatability in the question field. Then select the Program [Word Perfect] and then select 95/98. If the program can be made to run it will present the start up screen. But do not be too hopeful- you may be learning Word 2000+ yet"

I see what you saying but what bugs me is that we have two laptops and one desktop PC, all on XP Pro, which are running WP6.1 and my home desktop, on XP Home, also running it!

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…