WordPad 'mystery'

Mike2002 17:01 16 Oct 04

I'm running Windows 98SE, with an earlier version of WordPad (didn't realise there WAS a later version actually!).

It's possible to Paste GIF images or Screenshots into WordPad to make tutorials etc. But the mystery is, the file size of the completed WordPad document far outweighs the individual files.
As an example:--

WordPad document - text only 2Kb
Gif image 7Kb
" " 18Kb
Which adds up to 27Kb.
But the total completed document is actually 111Kb. (Try it with a few images and see).

Can anyone explain the reason for this, or offer a way of reducing the total file size.

spikeychris 18:14 16 Oct 04

Mike, great question and I haven't a clue. The only thing I can put it down to is the embedding of the files. Is the file size 111kb before you save it or after?

Mike2002 19:47 16 Oct 04

The 111Kb is the Saved size - some 4 times the separate original files. A mystery yes.

Some years back I had a WordPerfect document that I had made the mistake of cutting and pasting a few words directly from a webpage, instead of putting it into NotePad first (to remove any formatting) then into WordPerfect.
Some small piece of invisible formatting remained within the document, causing it to increase greatly in size. In fact, each time I saved it, the size practically doubled each time.
I got round it by transferring all the text into NotePad, then back into a new document. It was uncanny to see the two side-by-side; identical number of words etc, one was in Kb, the other in Mb!!

spikeychris 19:56 16 Oct 04

Just proves that there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…